Sunday, October 3, 2010

West Virginia Farm Wedding

The girls at Sweet Water are more than just owners-we, as brides, were in the same position four years ago. On Thursday, September 30, my husband and I celebrated our four year anniversary on a cold, rainy day. A rainy day that was an exact recreation of our wedding. Think monsoon. A cold, arctic monsoon. Some of my guests later confessed that they threw their shoes in the trash rather than scrape the mud off of them. Choosing to be married outside on a farm under a tent at the end of September was a risk, but it was one that represented us as a couple. The wedding process is insanity. Stressful, emotional, beautiful insanity. We built our wedding from the ground up because we wanted to be under the changing leaves, down the road from the home in which I grew up. The chairs, tables, dance floor, and every petal on every flower was carted in just for us. And the food? The biggest risk that we took was perhaps the greatest delight. I met Beth through a friend when she came over to teach us how to cook. We bought the groceries and paid her in wine, and she taught us how to sear fish, roast vegetables and make a blood orange vinaigrette. I was in love. Because I knew she had catering experience, and because her passion for food mirrored my own (I once drove to Philadelphia for macaroni and cheese. It was from Delilah's. It was made in front of you. And it was GOOD). I hired Beth on the spot. Risky? Yes. But I knew if it fell through and we ordered 120 pizzas, I would be just as happy on my wedding day. As it turned out, Beth hand pickled crates of vegetables in my kitchen the week before the wedding. She made a macaroni and cheese that I would drive to Los Angeles for. She made the marinade that the shrimp, steak and chicken were prepared with. We saved money, even after hiring wait staff to serve this delicious spread, but we most appreciated showcasing someone's skill and passion in a way that made our day even more special. And more delicious!

















No comments:

Post a Comment